Thursday, August 17, 2023

On the way to Skagway Exploring Old Gold and Copper Mining Towns

 



Horseshoe Falls.


A cool campground on the Klutina River in the town of Copper Center.



After climbing over the Valdez Glacier it was a 78 mile crazy descent to the Copper River!

Pretty wild and dangerous times back in the 1898 gold rush. Prior to this, I explored the old Copper Mining town of Chitina. From there I was going to drive the 55 miles to McCarthy but the dirt road was pretty rough and there were warning signs of loose railroad spikes since dirt/gravel was just piled on top of the old railroad tracks. 

This is one of the sleds as described in the previous picture.

The museum in Copper Center.

Enjoying a beer on the very fast flowing Klutina River.

A bus B&B in Copper Center. Doesn't look too appealing.


A list of what each person was required to haul in the 1898 gold rush.


One of my favorite meals while camping. Several stores sell small packages of fresh udon noodles. To this, I add fresh vegetables. In this instance, I added green beans, spinach, and Kalamata olives. I always have enough for the next day's lunch.


My morning view of the Klutina River from the upper berth.


I stopped by the fascinating fish hatchery again this Monday morning.

Salmon are amazing creatures.

Back in the Yukon.


I spent 3 nights boondocking in several areas hiking and biking.
Alongside Destruction Bay, Yukon.

Sunset at 10pm now. Earlier as I move south.

Almost every day people ask me if this van has been to Antarctica.


A typical remote Yukon fueling depot.

A cool sunrise.

A learning hike about the Alaskan Canadian (AlCan)Highway construction in 1942.














1 comment:

  1. I am awake early and enjoy reading your blog and seeing the lovely photos. I know you are happier out of towns and finding trails to bike or hike. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete