Sunday, August 20, 2023

A Very Interesting Skagway.

 

I arrived in Whitehorse, the capital of Yukon in pouring rain. At this point, it was only another 80 miles to Skagway but I had heard that the drive is not to be missed. So I got on my favorite cheap camping app, The Dyrt, and they listed The Real Canadian Superstore as similar to Walmart for free overnight stays. I spent the night there along with many others. Hey - real toilets, unlike the pit toilets I have used most frequently! Where's Waldo?

Emerald Lake.



                                                                Moon Lake.


The drive was through several fjords.





The closer to Skagway the geography and the weather changed dramatically.


Back in the United States.

There's a price I pay for being off-road - nicks in Belle's windshield. I have repaired three and have two more to go. The repair kit is usually around $20.

                                        A video of Emerald Lake.

Downtown Skagway. What is strange is all the jewelry and diamond stores. Maybe this is because there are usually four cruise ships here?

Skagway reminds me of Dawson City, Yukon. The buildings in Dawson City are more run-down looking and the streets are not paved so mostly mud. But both have old wood boardwalks.  This is all on purpose according to the fire chief of Dawson City that I met at breakfast one morning. I do like Dawson City more as it is so natural for its historic time.






The Gold Rush Cemetary which started in 1898.







I find old cemeteries fascinating and have spent many hours exploring them all around the world. I have hundreds of pictures of cemeteries.


    133 gravesites have been located here but only 60 have burial records.

Reid Falls is named after Frank Reid who was the city surveyor that designed the town in 1898.

An interesting story about Smith and Reid.


                                                    Reid Falls.


                                                    Built in 1899.

No comments:

Post a Comment