Friday, October 22, 2021

Another Exploring Hike

 

Interesting erosion of a cinder cone.

An open Catholic Church.



A lava cave.

An inland motocross track.

Very large land crabs. The bodies are the size of my hand.



A T in the road. I headed to the Devil's Ashpit. Two hours later in the heavy rain and wind, I still hadn't reached it so I turned around.

The airfield was named WIDEAWAKE Field after thousands of nearby birds kept soldiers up at night. It still carries that name.

After work, I jog from my barracks along the coast to the road's end. It's about 5 miles round trip. 

One of several beach shacks to chill at. People fish here and cook barbeque their catch.

Another beautiful beach with warnings of rip currents and sharks.

Remains of last season's green turtle nests.

A picture from a beach sign of an emerging turtle.

Another beach sign picture of a green turtle.


A few views of the base.

I live in the middle two-story barracks in the rear to the left. Very spacious rooms and quiet.

Work centers are spelled out with rocks.

1 comment:

  1. These photos provide a better view of your daily life on AI. Thank you for sharing and taking the time for the pics to upload. The lava roads remind me of Hawaii. How warm is it out on those rough roads? This is a bigger area than I imagined. When you think about the population does it compare to summer at McMurdo? Just wonder how you are managing those crowds! Take care. Andee

    ReplyDelete