Friday, October 8, 2021

A Tour of the HMS Protector

My satellite communications (satcom) work center.


The C-17 arrived with freshies. Not as big a deal as it was during my Antarctic winter deployments as it was always many months before the stations opened and freshies arrived. 

The newly arrived C-17 from Patrick's Air Force Base, Florida. I live 10 miles north of Patrick's.

Another view of satcom.

I had an opportunity to visit the HMS Protector on its way to the Antarctic Peninsula - my old stomping ground for the last three Austral winters.

World travel agrees with me. Just wish I could enjoy this with my family.

A view looking back at Georgetown.

The HMS Protector An icebreaker to survey and research the Arctic and Antarctic.

This is a US Air Force resupply vessel from Port Canaveral, Florida. My family lives .5 miles south of Port Canaveral. 

Boarding the HMS Protector from a motor launch.



Looking at the rear of the bridge from the main deck.

I sure miss the Antarctic penguins.


The helicopter deck.

I miss my early 70's navy days from my old guided-missile destroyer USS Hoel DDG-13. 

Beautiful Ascension Island.

The bridge.

A view from the bridge.

The ship's bell.

You don't need to tell me twice if a beach has a no swimming sign because of sharks.

These guys were quite large.

The other fish are called blackfish (triggerfish). 

There is one swimming beach north of here called Comfortless Cove that has no rip currents or shark warnings. 

 

2 comments:

  1. These photos capture the variables of your island life. Work and play seem to mix well there. I can see why you appreciate this experience for what it is: different. I hope you are well and finding new tricks to learn.
    Enjoy your work and play time.
    Love always, andee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Satcom looks intense. Lots of information exchanging. Echoes from Antarctica. The HMS Protector must have been enjoyable deja vu! That's a whole mess of sharks and food...

    ReplyDelete