Sunday, September 9, 2018

Working at Outcast Island Weather Station

I have been uploading my Palmer Station videos to YouTube. On the settings (the small gear on the bottom right side of the viewing screen) select HD for the best quality.

https://youtu.be/xXi4r_MBaJ8
https://youtu.be/h-MOcPlFflQ
https://youtu.be/YJHAPUdW0Yo Antarctic Storm

Departing Palmer on a beautiful morning.


A fine crew and sunrise.

Some islands are a bit difficult to hike on even when topped with snow.


Looking at the Antarctic continent about 8 miles away.


A long hike to the weather station. Post-holing (sinking your legs into deep snow with every step) was sometimes waist deep.

I enjoy adventure work.



Our chariot awaits. Normally we tie off the boat and set a stern anchor but after a few trips around the island there wasn't a secure place especially with the swell. So Joe stayed with the boat.

It was a bit tricky getting down to the water and into the boat.

Home again.
I have been running outside up the hill ever since the rocky road filled with snow in May as I don't like treadmills. Most of the time I run when it is dark before or after work. Occasionally I get out in the light now since the days are getting longer. I am usually clothed more than this but it was 18F which is fine as long as I am moving. My course laps get me a little over 4 miles. 

Another hiking day turned quite blue.

2/3 of a berg is underwater.

My hiking attire.

A fine little lagoon.



1 comment:

  1. Hey, this is another post that I missed! I appreciate the shorts in the 18 F temp! I would like it cooler than our 90 F average this month. We dodged the hurricane Florence and I am grateful. Sad, too, because I just visited several towns like New Bern, Wilmington, and Washington in North Carolina that may be underwater for many weeks. You seem to handle the obstacles in your professional duties, and that is a what makes you so interesting. I hope we find places to hike where I can keep up with you....Take care and love always, Andee

    ReplyDelete