Monday, July 30, 2018

Adventure with the Snowmachine

The radio repeater solar panel covered in ice.


Sunrise from the Marr Glacier.

I'm shoveling snow around the radio repeater sled.


Mt. Agamemnon

Several people a week help me shovel snow out of the radio repeater sled. That's me in the middle. Photo credit for the following six pictures to Doc Steve.

Scraping off the solar panel.

Mt. William in the background.

Standing before the sunrise.

Hiking home down the glacier. All in a days work. 

Hiking home through the backyard. When I arrived in March it was a much harder hike as this area is all boulders. Thanks for all the pictures of me Doc Steve!


The month of July was brutal with storms. Sometimes the winds reached hurricane strength.

Working on the glacier can be fun!





I drove snowmachines during my two South Pole winters but the flat terrain was a bit boring. It's a lot different here! Also at the South Pole once the temperature drops below -60F vehicle are no longer used since the tracks immediately freeze to the ice once stopped.

1 comment:

  1. These pictures seem to share your delight working in this extreme environment. I guess that is what makes you smile! Thanks to Doc Steve for capturing the images that explain better what you do in Antarctica. I think you are brave and well-respected to have assistance in the shoveling that is done several times weekly. We had a brief shower today and I got wet, but not cold! Try to stay warm and safe during your fantastic adventures. Love always, andee

    ReplyDelete