Sunday, July 29, 2018

More work pictures


I have uploaded a video comprised of several South Pole videos from last winter 2017 to YouTube. On the settings (the small gear on the bottom right side of the viewing screen) select HD for the best quality.

https://youtu.be/gNe4lX2Uy2E


We have been getting lots of snow.

I usually shovel snow for an hour or two each day.

Replacing the batteries at the glacier radio repeater. Cold hands...ouch.

There is enough snow through the station's rocky backyard so that a Ski-Doo can now be used. I prefer the hike but used this snow machine to carry three 62 pound batteries.

Twice a week I have enlisted the help of others to help me shovel snow from the repeater sled. If we didn't do this the sled would quickly be buried.





A fine team. Thanks Steven and David. It's always nice to have some younger blood around for this task.

The inlet is starting to freeze over.



There hasn't been a boat out for three weeks now due to the ice.
All three American stations are participating in "A Day in the Life", a photo album of what everyone did on July 18th. Here are my four submissions.




Lots of snow at Earth Station. 

Hiking through the backyard and up the glacier. I enlisted more help for the twice weekly radio repeater snow shoveling. Doc is ahead of me and two others on skis to the left. 



A fine shoveling team.

It's a continuous battle. I also go up on Sundays and shovel during my hiking day.

Without the shoveling this sled would quickly be buried. This picture looks like a painting.
A nice ski down the glacier.

An almost sunrise. 

Icicles. 


1 comment:

  1. I have seen many of these pictures on your Instagram page and appreciate them here, too! I can't imagine the snow and ice since I have never lived in that kind of climate! I have the opposite days with the heat and keeping the plant life under control. Thank you for sharing your daily work events! Take care and love always, andee

    ReplyDelete