Tuesday, May 15, 2018

A Sunday-Funday: fishing and an island of my own



I have been uploading my Palmer Station videos to YouTube. On the settings (the small gear on the bottom right side of the viewing screen) select HD for the best quality.





Fishing for science on a Sunday morning.





We caught 14 Corrie fish. 

They will be reproduced in this lab during the winter. 

Later that same day I caught a ride with the divers who dropped me off at seal filled Torgensen Island.

It was just me and about 200 fur seals.


They weren't too pleased that I woke them from their Sunday afternoon nap. While some just opened an eye when I walked by some barked. 


Really cool rock formations. 

Torgensen Island is only about a five minute ride from Palmer Station.

An island to myself - an old Antarctic explorer.




I tried not to disturb them but there were so many it was difficult to navigate around them.





The island is full of jagged peaks like this. In the two hours I was here I walked around the island twice with a few traverses over hills. Without the packed snow it would be almost impossible to walk around.

Palmer Station in the middle.

A Weddell seal - rare for these parts.


Okay - I'll leave.

A fine science and dive team from UAB. Thanks for the ride!

1 comment: