Saturday, February 18, 2017

The South Pole is closed for the Winter

Sunday February 19, 2017


The last of the summer crew left the South Pole Wednesday on a C-130 Hercules. At McMurdo, they landed and returned to New Zealand on the C-17 I flew to McMurdo on. They then scattered to home and parts unknown. People who work in Antarctica are a different breed as they thrive for adventure and exploration and not the typical 8-5 jobs in the U.S. Southeast Asia is a very popular spot to explore after the ice along with various South Pacific islands. Then when duty calls again they return to the ice. The summer people (the South Pole summer starts November 1 and ends February 14) come year after year whereas most winterovers have had enough after just one winter. This is my third winter and I wish I had found about this adventure years ago. My neighbor said it best, “Mike you were born a few hundred years too late when all the great world exploration was happening”. You just can’t beat exploring the world by riding a bicycle in between three Antarctic winters.

Aerial pictures of Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station. These are my three work areas 3/4 mile from the main station. It can be a brutal walk especially with the upcoming six months of total dark.

The science "Dark Sector" is to the upper left. 
The main station with the ceremonial South Pole marker in front. I live in the last wing on the left. The "beer can" to the left connects the station to the underground storage areas along with the power plant. It is a constant -50F there. 

The Dark Sector labs and telescopes.

The last flight out.

There are now 46 souls on station until November 1. Notice the finial on top of the flag pole. All points north.





Game of Thrones is very popular here.



South Pole library.


A fine place to donate our book.



The round winterover picture from 2013.
My name is 9th on the left.

The 100 year anniversary (2011) of Norway's Roald Amundsen first at the South Pole.

Laundry room. The summer bedding still needs to be stored.

The South Pole Greenhouse.



In 2013 we had fresh salads several times a week along with cantaloupes, strawberries and tomatoes. 


A nice place to sit and read.

Looking outside the station passageway.

My dorm.

My room.

The view from the end of my hall. The power plant is 50 feet under the ice. There are four generators' exhausts.

A view of the geographic South Pole marker from my room. The polar ice sheet of approximately two miles thick moves about 30 feet per year. This marker, sign and flag are moved each January 1st. 

We track three satellites that give us 12 hours of internet (mostly science uploads) and telephone coverage each day.

My office.

A South Pole closing tradition - watch all three "The Thing" movies after station closing in the South Pole Drive-in Theater. Pretty creepy. 

Real popcorn too!


5 comments:

  1. Yummy real popcorn! You look comfy at the command post office! How does it feel after 4 years of bike riding? This is going to be a different year for me knowing exactly where you are every day and night! hehehe. I will pray for your safety and the support of your friends. Thank you for making this unusual adventure a positive way to provide for our future plans. Big hug and kiss for my valentine! Love always, andee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andee. I still feel like I am living an adventure so it is okay to be off the bike. In some ways it is more difficult although it is kind of boring knowing where I am sleeping each night! Thanks for the cards.

      Delete
  2. These traditions remind me of the moments before a slow-moving wooden roller-coaster makes it's first exhilarating plunge. It must be relieving and creepy at the same time.

    Have you had time to catch up on some Game of Thrones? We've been racing through Black Sails...and it puts Pirates of the Caribbean to shame!! It's one of my favorite shows of all time. Season 4 is playing now, and unfortunately it will be the last season...we are almost finished with s3.

    It's lovely to see the book having a place in the library with the other adventurers. Although it may be a small gesture, it's a great honor for it reside in that room--much more so than Barnes and Noble! The next book deserves a movie to go with it.

    I'm proud of you dad. I could definitely imagine you being on Amundsen's or Scott's crew, but then you wouldn't have been alive to enjoy the life that comes after. Life was a much harsher teacher back then; for the price of glory and excitement was met with equal parts mortal danger.

    I always love to see the freshies surviving in such a harsh climate. I bought some grow lights recently, and i'm thinking of converting a lot of space in the shed into a seedling and grow house. I'm getting pretty good at using the garage windows for sprouts, but its a mess and I need take it to the next level.

    That cork assembly that resembles Antarctica is awesome! I wish we could do that on the west garage wall to describe your world journey. For now, the idea is to use vertical wall baskets that have a ton of pouches. The assembly holds 72 separate plants and eventually the plants will cover up the green structure. Here's a picture for reference: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1U5JFOXXXXXcLXVXXq6xXFXXX5/36-72-Pocket-font-b-Felt-b-font-font-b-Wall-b-font-Vertical-Flower-Vege.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cary, Thanks for all your comments. I'm glad I wasn't on Scott's crew! Amundsen did it right with dogs. What was Scott thinking when he brought horses? I am working my way through GoT almost to season 4. Also enjoying Weeds. I didn't send the book to you to read it all. I would like you and mom to write the forward. At the end of the copy I gave you I added neighbor Chris' forward as an example. I have completed two edits since that copy and it is quite different. So just look at the forward. We have enough corks to make Antarctica. Take care. Love you. Dad.

      Delete