Saturday, February 25, 2017

Satellite Communications

February 26, 2017


After a few weeks of acclimating to the altitude I am feeling better. The station is at 9,300 feet but the little air pressure makes it feel more like 10,500 or more. I have been told to take it easy for the first few weeks and to keep hydrating with plenty of water. It was also recommended to stay out of the gym for the first two weeks. Frequent naps help to live with the 30% less oxygen.



I performed this job in winter of 2013. For 2017 there is a new satellite that we track called Defense Satellite Communications System (DSCS) There are two of us supporting the winter. We are responsible for operations and maintenance of all things Satcom. The station utilizes three satellites and tracking antennas to keep the station internet and phone (voice over internet protocol) system operational about 12 hours per day. There is also an Iridium satellite phone system that can be used 24 hours a day. In other words my partner and I are the station’s internet service providers. It’s a big deal here because of all the science research that is uploaded through the various systems and sent throughout the world. And of course the station personnel want their internet. The bandwidth is small but it does work.



The three satellites are DSCS (a retired DOD DSCS-3 satellite) , Skynet (a retired NATO satellite), and the South Pole Transfer Data and Relay Satellite (TDRS) Relay (SPTR2). 


All three operate at a very low (< 1 degree) elevation and are controlled from a satcom work station. We man this work station whenever one of the satellites is scheduled for a pass. This entails working split shifts to cover the 24 hour day. It is similar to what I did in McMurdo in 2012 except not as automated and the customers are on station.

TDRS antenna.



TDRS RF shed.


The antennas are about 3/4 mile from the station - a long walk in the cold.

South Pole Skynet antenna.

The Vehicle Maintenance Facility on the right. Cold storage to the left of that then the power plant on the left.

Tunnel leading to the power plant.

My work station to the far right in the antenna domes.
The ice sheet covering the Antarctic continent.
The Antarctic continent.

Cold storage - lots of food. The temperature here is a steady -50F.





Lake Vostok under the Russian station.





2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! I am good at manipulating you! What a joke as my mom told you to keep me under your thumb! I bet she never dreamed that you would spend so many months traveling without me! I am proud of you and the work that you have chosen to do in a very demanding environment. I will share this blog with my students soon and maybe send a few questions from them. You are inspiring and I am grateful that you are feeling better. No worries, just stay in where it is a bit warmer! Love always, Andee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lake Vastok: the genetic freezer. I wonder what the other lakes could possibly have. I bet there's a fish ancestor down there :D I like those overhead shots of the South Pole. They really help one visualize the area and how far those antennas are from the base.

    ReplyDelete