Monday, March 21, 2022

My last Post from Ascension Island

 After 6 months on the island, I returned home to start the next chapter in my wife's Andrea and my life. Prior to Ascension Island deployment, we bought a Mercedes Sprinter Thor camper van. We are planning to explore the US, Baja Mexico, Canada, and Alaska. 

Thank you to everyone for reading this blog as I have enjoyed sharing several parts of the world from my "Adventure Jobs" at all three US stations in Antarctica for a combined four and a half years of living "on the ice" and the South Atlantic Ocean with the US Space Force.

Our van is equipped for off the road adventures with 4 wheel drive and an upgraded electrical system including solar panels for boondock camping.

Andrea named her Belle.

Lots of turtle nests on this beach.

A last swim at Comfortless Cove. After this picture was taken my friend Mark and I spotted a large shark heading into this cove while chasing a turtle that was swimming to shore to lay her eggs. 

A final Green Mountain hike.

These trails were cut out in the 1800s by the Royal Marines.

A female land crab.

Monkey Rock is the site of the oldest cemetery on Ascension Island.


A male land crab.

There are many sheep on Green Mountain. There are also many donkeys that live off the mountain on the "Donkey Plains."


Cutting through volcanic rock must have been brutal work by the Royal Marines.

Another letterbox.


If Ascension received more rain it would be a tropical paradise like Hawaii.



Tree roots growing over lava rock.

And another letterbox.


A tropical hike.

Sister Peak to the left.

The island administrator's (governor's) home in Green Moutain. 

A final letterbox. I collected half of the letterbox stamps.






No comments:

Post a Comment