Thursday, February 10, 2022

Room pictures and a Bike to Northeast Bay then a Hike to Porpoise Point

 

A friend, Matt, whom I met at McMurdo Station, Antarctica winter 2012 makes me a calendar every year with pictures he uses from this blog. We both work satellite communications and I last saw him when I relieved him at the South Pole for my winter 2017 at Amundsen Scott South Pole Station. This is the 2022 calendar he mailed to me. Thanks, Matt!

My room after 5 months on Ascension Island.





The green turtles have arrived on the island to lay their eggs.




I biked to Northeast Bay on the other side of the island then hiked another letterbox trail.

After two months with my bike, my rear tire is worn bald. Tires don't last long here. I installed a new tire.

A pair of fairy terns posing for me. They are together for life. A very curious bird they ofter hover above me.

The hike to Porpoise Point in the distance.


More turtle tracks.

The hatchlings coming from here won't have a chance to get over the rocks.

Interesting lava rock erosion.

After a very difficult hike over sharp lava gullies, I found the letterbox. There have been times that after the hike the letterbox eludes me.


Looking back to where I started.

A very worn stamp.

This hike took me 3 hours not 2.

A long hot hike back to my bike.


The hatchlings from here don't stand a chance.

Salt forming.

The land crabs are now migrating from Green Mountain to Northeast Bay to mate and spawn.

This crab was barely alive and dying. After the crabs release their eggs in the ocean they come ashore and die. 

1 comment:

  1. This part of the island does not look like an easy place to hike. I bet those turtle nests would be interesting to watch. Stay on the paths!

    ReplyDelete