Thursday, February 24, 2022

A Spelunking Adventure Inside Bat Cave

Ascension Island landscaping. A few times a year the old cinder is removed, ground cleaned with water, and new cinder applied.

Last weekend I hiked to Bat Cave but due to being by myself and my fear of heights and claustrophobia, I did not enter the cave.

With the help of my hiking partner Mark who recently returned to the island
                I had my first ever spelunking adventure! It was a long way down.
 


Mark entering another part of the cave.

The rock inside the cave is very sharp since it has not been exposed to the erosion elements for millions of years. It was thrilling to be inside this cave and see it as it originally formed.


A hard earned stamp!

What would Bat Cave be without a few bats?

Eerie.


Fun times!

Mark signing the logbook.

Exiting the cave.

A grand adventure!

After exploring Bat Cave we decided to hike up the backside of Sister Peak. It was difficult with the cinder and loose rock.


Our descent turned into surfing down the cinder on our feet. When my daughter and I bicycled through Nicaragua we volcano surfed on Volcan Negro outside of the city of Leon. We also hiked a volcano on Ometepe Island on Lake Nicaragua. 

Almost like an obelisk.

A few random Australian Pines on Sister Peak.

An interesting fine line of separation of black ash and red cinder.

Mark surfing down steep black ash.

Surfing this drop was fun!

The next day I biked to Comfortless Cove for a Sunday morning swim.


The Air Force resupply ship from Port Canaveral, Florida travels here four times a year.

                                Volcano surfing Ascension Island style.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! Good to see you smiling and hiking with a buddy!

    ReplyDelete