Sunday, September 29, 2019

A video chat with an astronaut and running in Antarctica

Astronaut Christina Koch is onboard the International Space Station (ISS). She served a few winters at the South Pole and here at Palmer Station and is on track for the longest time in space for a US female next February. Last Saturday night the 20 of us here at Palmer had an almost one hour video chat with her on her day 184 onboard the ISS. It was really exciting to talk to her since I spent almost 30 years working on the space shuttle orbiter's avionics systems. We all had lots of questions as she gave us a tour of the ISS. Christina is shown here in her spacewalk suit.


On a hike up the glacier.

To the right is a few volunteers to help me dig out the glacier radio sled.


A beautiful windless day at the glacier sled.


A fine shoveling team.


Palmer Station above my head.

I recently presented a three part slideshow on my daughter's and my bicycle ride around the world.


Running the glacier in snowshoes. 



I run the station hill road (to the right middle) on a regular basis. It's nice that it's light now because most of the season I run with a head torch. 15 up and down laps gives me about 5 miles and 800 total feet of elevation.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about one of our astronauts and how you connected with the experiences you have had working on the shuttles. The hiking part of your job is definitely a good workout and I know you are in fine shape. Take it easy now as you are almost ready to make your journey home and that is a long sometimes difficult trip. Hope you have your projects done!Love Always, Andee

    ReplyDelete