Sunday, May 12, 2019

Hikes and Seals

I have been uploading my Palmer Station videos to YouTube. On the settings (the small gear on the bottom right side of the viewing screen on YouTube) select HD for the best quality.

https://youtu.be/74oOpvj3w0c Penguins
https://youtu.be/53c0cCmacSM Elephant Seals
https://youtu.be/8u3hJd5FWnk Elephant Seals



Sometimes I think I'm such a lucky guy to be living the adventure life in Antarctica. This only happens because I have a wife, Andrea, who supports my adventures and loves me - plus my son Cary and daughter Jocelyn who support their mom at home. 

A nice evening taken from the second floor deck outside the bar/lounge and gym.

Taking a break sitting on the Marr Glacier loving the view, peace and quiet.

Sunrise over the glacier.

Dietrich Island 2019. Four years ago this was discovered to be an island when the Marr Glacier ice broke off exposing that it was an island.

Dietrich Island last year. The ice continues to melt. 

Palmer Station to the right.


Picture 1: Palmer station from the backyard. The earth station dome to the right and building next to it is where I work alone in satellite communications. 

Picture 2: Continuing to the right and the rest of the station.

There are several of these wood camping platforms around the station. One can get a sleeping bag and pad from the recreation aisle and spend the night outside.
Another day, another sunrise.

A good place to stop.

A fun seal pup.


I encountered a lot of wildlife this hike. A female elephant seal.

An elephant seal colony. Several were mating.



This girl stared at me the entire time I was there.

More fir seals.

Elephant seals in the water.



1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with the photo of the seals and their expressions. You have seen more wildlife at Palmer than we have in many areas. The birds are loving the new feeder Cary installed in the Magnolia tree. The island picture is indicative of our global climate change affecting all of us. The past few days have been dry with about 98 F. I can do more in the mornings, but by the afternoon, I am beat. You seem to be thriving in the cooler climate! Enjoy. Thanks for the loving words. The kids are nice to have around, but they are busy doing their adult things! Miss you much! Love always, andee

    ReplyDelete