Saturday, October 6, 2018

My final week at Palmer Station Part 1

Running over the glacier on a beautiful evening. Mt. William to the right.

Global warming so apparent. The glacier front face is falling apart even during winter. 

Palmer Station.

Three of the High Frequency (HF) antennas the station uses for long distance radio communications. The third one (NVIS) is attached to the short yellowish pole next to the foremost larger tower Sloping V antenna. The Coni Moni to the right.
After a two day storm.

Many hours were spent shoveling snow.




Skiing after work.


I was running the glacier after work one day when a friend skied down and saw me. He took this picture of me with Mt. William in the background. This was one of my favorite times on the glacier as the weather was perfect and the snow was great for running on.
On October 1st all island travel and hikes to Bonaparte Point stopped due to animals returning for the summer. There hasn't been any boating anyway due to sea ice. This was my last hike to Bonaparte Point. In the foreground is a frozen Hero Inlet then Palmer Station. 
One of my last glacier runs.

Mt. William at 5,200 feet. Would love to climb the left slope.

A reflection sunset. The sun is still behind the clouds.

Sunrise from my room at 0545.

1 comment:

  1. You are always up early! These are beautiful pictures of a place most of us will never see. Thanks for sharing your vision of the ice and how global warming is affecting the environment.

    ReplyDelete