Thursday, September 16, 2021

Ascension Island Mike

 It's certainly not Antarctica! After 6 winters and a combined 4.5 years living on the Antarctic ice at all three US stations, I decided to switch it up a bit for a warmer adventure work setting. I deployed Tuesday, September 14th to Ascension Island on a C-17 from Patrick's Space Force Base. The flight took about 13 hours. I will be working Satellite Communications as I did in Antarctica. 


I deployed from Patricks Air Force Base (aka Space Force Base) on a C-17 similar to this one that I deployed to Antarctica from Christchurch, New Zealand.

                                

This was my last Antarctic flight on a C-17. I am third from the left.

Ascension Island is even more remote than Antarctica and a bit warmer since it is 8 degrees south of the equator.!

Lots of room to spread out. I slept quite well stretched out on the deck.
                                             This was my 7th C-17 flight.
The view from my quarantine barracks. The island is volcanic.

A large garden area.

Today's lunch  - Baked Swai fish.

The quarantine barrack for 8-14 days.




                                                            A very nice barracks.




4 comments:

  1. Wow. What a difference! I bet you are feeling a little “ cooped up “ and hope you can read, rest, and keep moving in your room. It has been a different experience in the preparation and communication. Thanks for posting some pictures here. I will share with friends and hope we keep you motivated to write about your adventures! Love always' andee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up the island as soon as Jocelyn posted. The waters around the island are so beautiful. I saw a lot if dry areas but some jungle. Where do they get their fresh water? Good luck to you. I hope quarantine goes quickly. I'll show my kids at school. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow uncle Mike what a change. I hope you enjoy the warmer weather and have lots of amazing adventures love ya Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soil looks so iron rich! Such a drastic change from Antarctica.

    ReplyDelete