Saturday, April 6, 2019

2019 - Mike is Back on the Ice at Palmer Station for my 5th Antarctic Winter!

Once again I fly to Punta Arenas, Chile and board the Gould.

This will be my 3rd crossing of the infamous Drake Passage.

The Nathaniel B. Palmer was also in port. The Palmer is about 80 feet longer than the Gould.

Nathaniel B. Palmer



Two floating fish farms.



The Palmer and the Gould in Punta Arenas, Chile.

Punta Arenas, Chile. 

A statue for Hernando Magellan. Sailors rub the Indian's foot for good luck on the Drake Passage.

Ferdinand Magellan (Hernando in Spanish) was a Portuguese explorer who organised the Spanish expedition to the East Indies from 1519 to 1522, resulting in the first circumnavigation of the Earth. He died during the voyage and only a few of his sailors returned home.

The Drake Passage looking ugly with huge waves. We sailed between the two storms and it wasn't too bad. 

From the bridge.



Sunrise entering the Antarctic Peninsula.

Cruising through the spectacular Neumayer Channel.








Arriving at Palmer Station, Anvers Island, Antarctica, ten days after leaving Florida.

Snowing!


The view from my office.

Mike is back on the ice!

Gentoo penguins on station!


1 comment:

  1. That was a fast trip! i hope you find new and safe adventures this winter. I have my own to handle while you are gone. I know this work is very important and I appreciate what you do for the station and the Science programs. Most of the housework is completed at home and I am ready to sort my stuff. Miss you much!

    ReplyDelete