Friday, May 5, 2017

Bicycle ride presentation and a "run" to McMurdo

Winter life in the station continues to go well. Walking to the antennas is sometimes difficult in the decreasing temperatures, darkness and increasing snow drifts. The South Pole is the driest desert in the world and it does not snow here but the snow from the coasts drift to the polar plateau and pile up on the first resistance it finds which is the station and outlying smaller huts. Walking in the dark causes lots of stumbles and sometimes falls. Our small red headlamps make it difficult to see. On a clear day the sky is alive with stars and auroras which help to light the way. But on a windy snow blowing day it can be most difficult. I continue to enjoy this one of a kind adventure.

The 2017 Pole marker.

An almost everyday occurrence 24 hours a day - Aurora Australis. Photo credit: Martin Wolf.

It is getting cold.


Arriving in the station from a walk to the antennas.

Part of our duties is "house mouse" where teams of four clean the station as in bathrooms, passageways, and lounges. Today my team had the task of shoveling snow from the two main entrances and away from the eight emergency exit doors. I will be happy to once again clean the bathrooms next Saturday. 


A weekly menu. I enjoy the vegetarian options that are not listed. Two days a week we enjoy fresh greens from the growth chamber.



One hour Sunday travel presentations in the galley for five weeks.

There is the large screen plus several small monitors facing the other way.

I have had excellent turnouts the last two Sundays with almost the entire station present.

My last winier of 2013 I "exercised" to McMurdo and decided to do it again.

In 2013 I ran to McMurdo, 835 miles and back for 1,670 miles. My name the second from the bottom as I had a late start from not feeling well when I first arrived. 

Four days a week I run the passageways for at least an hour which is 5 miles.


I also row for an hour on this excellent machine. At the start I ran outside on the ski-way. But now it is too dark and cold. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your public review of traveling. I know we could make this part of our future adventures and it would help pay for wherever we ant to journey. Jocelyn would be an awesome addition for her different perspective and joy of celebrating the common ways that people live. I hope you are staying warm and keep those body parts out of the frozen places...almost everywhere on the South Pole!
    Thanks for calling and sharing your news, love always, andee

    ReplyDelete